HVAC Santa Rosa: Does Your Digital Thermostat Have a Problem?
Miss Audrey called one day pretty frantic. The temperature was dipping down into the 30’s one night in Santa Rosa, cold for this area, and her heating unit would not turn on. She had no idea what went wrong but she was getting very, very worried.
Of course, I dropped what I was doing and headed right on over to Miss Audrey’s house. Luckily, her issue was simple to fix. The batteries in her digital thermostat were just about dead and could not turn on the heating system. With some new batters Miss Audrey was up and running again, well, at least her heating system was up and running again.
Digital Thermostat Problems – I have seen them all
This little episode got me to thinking. In my many years in the business I have seen it all when it comes to digital thermostat problems. Let’s take a look at a few things that can go wrong with your thermostat and give you problems:
- Power – One of the most embarrassing situations for a homeowner is to call me for what seems to be a thermostat issue and all that was wrong was your breaker tripped off for some reason. Or all the unit needed was batteries!! If your unit won’t turn on check these first. You might save yourself from feeling embarrassed.
- Location – Sometimes the thermostat is just in the wrong place. It might be in an area where lamps or another heat source is affecting it. There could also be drafts or other things that make it read colder. Both of these can affect your thermostat.
- Dirt and grime – One of the biggest issues with digital equipment, including thermostats, is that they are very sensitive. It does not take much dirt or any type of small debris to affect your thermostat. Even small specks of dust can affect thermostat operation.
- Loose wires – Because your thermostat is digital that means there will be wires associated with the unit. Wires can often get loose and cause the thermostat to malfunction. On occasion a wire can break or just pull away from the lug it was screwed down to. These will also cause the thermostat to be faulty.
- Calibration – At times your thermostat does not read temperatures correctly. It just gets out of calibration for whatever reason. This will make your thermostat give your heating and cooling system bad commands.
- Level – The thermostat may not be level. The screws holding the unit to the wall may have become loose over time. This may make the unit lean too much one way or the other compromising operation.
- Transformer – If there is nothing apparently wrong with the thermostat it could be that the transformer associated with the unit is the problem. Since the transformer is an integral part of the system it may not operate properly.
Digital Thermostat Problems – It might be time to make the call
A digital thermostat is a complex and sensitive piece of equipment. You can try some fixes yourself if you are having problems with your unit. Sometimes you can save the price of a service call. Other times your thermostat will be beyond your expertise to troubleshoot and you are going to need an HVAC technician to come help.
If you are having digital thermostat problems, don’t hesitate to call me for help. I am as close as a phone call for you. Our number is 707-953-3345.